Friday, March 27, 2015

So how it started

As I have mentioned before, I am from a conservative Tamil Brahmin family. Rather than saying conservative I would say a middle class family. We were still exploring the boundaries of our 'middle class' ness. Our household was a women majority one, but still my dad always set the standards or value system of our family. My parents had instilled the values without making us a rebel.

For instance my dad used to always tell us that sari is one of the most revealing dress and this thought was instilled that way that neither me nor my sister wanted sari. They never said don't wear or wear only this, but they never encouraged us in wearing one. He used to say bermuda or shorts all allowed but only inside home. He basically protected us from the leering eyes but never wanted to restrict us.
This was always the case in any step we took, they have never tried to restrict, they always gave a preference to our dreams but also they made sure we knew what its costing them. It basically made sure that we don't take unnecessary advantage of what's given. Then we grew up and then the time came for my marriage.
As in any typical middle class family, they started searching for groom. I was apprehensive and scared. But then I found a person whom I wanted to share my future with. So followed the usual cajoling & blackmailing. But I stood my stand though i hurt to do that. Somehow I thought that they will not restrict. In the mean time I had asked for a transfer in my office and when it came thru, I moved out.
It was more a preparation time for both me and my parents. I was still hoping they will change their mind.
Our extended family was a huge one and my parents started roping in one after other. But more the people more the problem started bloating. In the end I decided that its high time I make the decision. That's when I started my new life. Though I cried for the next 5 years for making the decision and till my parents reconciled, still I grew up that day. I started a new life. We were the north meets south jodi. From the language to the value system to the food to the culture, everything we were in the extreme ends, but we started. We grew up together to make a family.
And now after 10 years and two kids into the journey, with all its plus and minus, up and downs, our
journey is still going on. Life's decisions are tough to make, but in the long haul, its what makes us what we are.
Same like https://housing.com/ and their below ad.

No comments: