Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Digital Age

When I was in my 6th grade in school, I heard that my uncle has gone to US to work and also he is now part of the elite group of ITians. Till that time I had heard of only IIT and never about IT. In my school we had the ranking system. So each of the term test or mid exams we used to get marks and relative ranks in the class. I always belonged to the 'All Pass No Rank' category. I never used to stressed by that but rather more proud to say that! But when I heard that one can be average and still become a member of IT group became an astonishing fact to me that time and I would that's when I decided that I will also the same path. So we as common folks started this movement of ITians flourishing and making way economically. But we never questioned on why all are moving out of India to become an ITian group. We never thought of using the same or exploiting the same in our India itself. This was in early 90s.

Fast forward to now at 2015, we India have become truly digital. Who would have thought that we rather going to the local veggie walla to get our daily vegetables, will end up getting it delivered at our door step. My six year old asks me what I want for my birthday so that he can order it online! Need I say more on how a Big digital world we are in.

When I say digital, its just not the convenience of getting everything in a mouse click, but also the transparency of the same. Before if somebody sends a courier also, we had to call the delivery person for each of the updates and even at the end we never knew when the delivery going to happen. But now every information from start to finish is transparent.

But can we sit back now and say 'ahh' everything is digital. No, we are still taking the baby steps, there are so many place where the same digitilization is missing. Take as instance of our PDS system. Ration card system is still the most backward and corrupt system and every year we hear famine happening in one side and the rations in the PDS shops getting rotten in the other side. Another system is our election process. Is there a place where we can what actual work did each of the contestant did previously. For me digitilization is more about information transparency than about convenience. When you say e-governance, it should be more about the transparency of the system. A true digital age would be that when we have all the information in hand, rather than getting sweeped under the files. Everything will be so available that there wont be a question of corruption.

We are progressing there but as I said still in the baby steps. Our steps should not be staggered till we reach the stage when we can proclaim as truly Digitilized!

This is part of http://www.intel.in/ #DigitalIndia.

No comments: