Saturday, January 31, 2015

My journey

When I became a 'Mother', due to various reasons & beliefs I quit my job. First kid came closely followed by my second. Life with kids is a 24X7 engagement. I missed my coffee breaks, intelligent conversation, basically the 'I' has faded and there only remained 'Mom' part of me.

But the moment kids are bit grownup, I started exploring. Basically I was itching to get back to full time work but I know I cant, so I was looking for the next best thing. Everyone in my family has lost the hope that I will get back to work or they were like I cant pursue because 'who does that with not one but two small kids'. But I always had a regret that I didnt try my best before quitting my work... maybe I should have gave it try and who knows how that would have been.

So this time I started trying things which are safe options. I started with online tutoring, but the pay was less and more so the work hours were very odd. I was getting up 3 in the morning (though I would hardly slept because of kid in the night) then work from 4 till 7, 7 - 8 get the elder kid ready for school and again work from 8 till 9 and then the younger olds chores. It was hectic and all the sleeplessness was getting to you by 3 months into it. So after 6 months I quit that and was again started to search for that 'Next best thing'.

Once my mom asked me saying why are you so bothered in finding a job, relax and enjoy the kids. But somehow my mind was always against that. One day when my kids were playing, my elder daughter said that she is cooking and packing food for my younger boy since she also is like mom. That caught me in the throat. I didn't want my daughter to sell herself short because that's what I did.

So I started again looking for something. That time my hubs used to make fun saying that if I can make 6 figure in a month, then he will quit and take care of kids. So this time I got a freelancing work and it was paying me in $. The work had deadlines but I can choose when I work and which used happen whenever kids are sleeping. The work was good and I did prove my hubs  wrong and was making a 6 figure per month too. But this went for a toss when I had to travel to my in laws place which had very poor internet and with no one to help and with long hours I started getting sick. Also I was not able to stick to my work commitments. That ended that venture after an year I started.

So now I started looking for something outside my home with limited work hours. That's when I landed my current job. Though I fought a huge fight and am still fighting against the prejudices. But still now I have become an inspiration to all the other wives in my complex. All were like 'So she can with 2 kids after a 5 yrs. break why cant we' This also has become my inspiration that I cant let them down by quitting my current job. can I ?

This post is a part of #UseYourAnd activity at BlogAdda in association with Gillette Venus“.

This post is also a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda

No comments: