Friday, January 9, 2015

Feminism..

Nowadays this has become a trend.. Everybody is/wants to be a feminist. And everything and anything related to women become feminism. Seriously I don't know what is feminism, I always was familiar with Chauvinism, because that's what I got to witness first hand. But even then I was never taught to hate chauvinist but proclaim feminism. It was just a way to identify chauvinism and accept it or criticize it.
Also both Chauvinism and feminism are relative and that's the reason I think they both being exploited.

My mother always claimed that my dad is a MCP (male chauvinistic pig) because he had a very strict dress code for mom, me & my sister. That's the only reason is was termed MCP. Other than that he used to help mom in kitchen, help her in house keeping, though will never claim in front of mom, but he was always in awe of my mom and her intelligence. For the dress code he had his own reasons. He used to say 'I know how guys look and where all his eyes wander, I don't want you guys to give them a reason' For this matter he never allowed us to wear sari or half sari. He used to allow us to wear any thing at home, but not in front of third person.
So having a dress code so that his gals will not be a prey to all others eyes is practicality to him and chauvinistic to my mom.

My husband says no to leggings for my daughter who is 7 yrs. This makes him a chauvinistic in my eyes. But for him it just being careful. He sees ladies, girls of various ages were variety of cloths and how the guys around him and he himself looks at them and he don't want his own gal to be under that scrutiny.
So point is that chauvinism is something that's individualistic, will vary from person to person on what is chauvinism.

So saying I was reading a blog wherein a gal was crying about 'Feminism' cos her MIL asked her why she is not cooking. This got me into thinking, how can a expectation of an MIL could be anti-feminism. More so why nowadays people are ever ready to fight by pushing anything and everything under different banners, be it for love, be it religion, be in feminism.

Though coming from a conservative background where the husband doesn't even pick the plate after eating, I have seen my mother happily sitting and reading a good book while my dad busy in tidying up the kitchen. Even at age of 70+ it my dad who does swiping of floor at home and mom is the one who cooks and clean vessels. Its just that of sharing, neither of the them talk about feminism/chauvinism.

So now if my MIL says that I need to cook for my kids, would I term that as anti feminism. Its just that of saying take care of your family, cos every time you cant eat out.
I accept different people have different views and everyone will be ready to dump their view on us. But why  raise ones shackles and give all a different color rather than take it as it is given.
May be if we really pause and think before we categorize under different color, then may be we wont work ourselves into this frenzy of violence.

No comments: