Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Extreme Parenting

Have you seen the article in TIME magazine which talks about this extreme parenting. I read a lots of article based on this but haven't read the source article in full. But I want to talk about parenting as such.

When I got pregnant, I remember the excitement and happiness it involved. I used to think about the baby and its growth and that's the only topic in my mind. I was a information hoarder. I used to go berserk online in collecting the info, but I was not a paranoid. The info I got is the fodder for talks with anyone in office or at home I had. I had subscribed to various online forums and I used to get more info from them.

But in all this I never bought a book about parenting. I am a avid reader, I cant go thru a single day without reading books, and this doesn't count the online reading or eBooks. I need to sit with a book in hand at least for 5 min no matter how hectic the day is, else it would be a depressing day. Even after being a book manic I never brought a single book on parenting. Though I read thru so many mommy blogs, which basically gives a consolation that I am not alone in this, I have accomplice. But blogs i refer even for my marriage problems or for in-law problems, basically for just that feeling I am not alone in this suffering. But not as a reference point.

Parenting is always done as per how we(both I & hubs) as parents want it. Mostly inspired from our upbringing. Also some where based on how we thought what our childhood lacked. For instance my MIL was a working mother, but my hubs is totally against giving a working mother to his kids. My mother is stay-at-home mother but I never wanted to give that to my kids.
So our parenting style is more based on who we are rather than how we have been brought up. And a good part is also dependent on how my kids are. I breast feed my eldest till her 1st birthday and I stopped after. She also weaned comfortably. Soon the youngest followed. For him I only feed till 9 months, then he voluntorily stopped feeding.
Till now we co sleep. That's not odd for me, because I co-slept till I am 18 and I don't think that has affected on how attached am I to my parents or how screwed up am I. Due to space constraint we co-slept and due to the same reason we co-sleep with our kids now too. Potty training or eating on their own all are done as per the society demands or as per our needs its done. Not because some book said. May be we are doing all wrong, but parenting is not about some set of rules or procedures. As everyone think its about bringing up kids.
My thumb-rule, I am not screwed up with my parents parenting so my kids also wont be screwed up. More than parenting, kids development is based on what they learn from surrounding. The best I can do is give them a good environment to grow and hope that they learn good.

No comments: