Monday, September 1, 2014

Private India - My Book Reivew

Private India by Ashwin Sanghi and James Patterson

Let me start off saying that I have read the earlier works of Ashwin Sanghi and after his 'Chanakya's Chant' I am an official fan of his. In his earlier works though the genre is drama or thriller there was an "Indianess" in them which I was personally able to relate and accept. For instance 'Chanakya's Chant' who doesn't know Chanakya, but the way he was related to today's times was too good. In 'Krishna Key' we are all are familiar with the stories of Krishna and Yadav family but the twist that was given was simply amazing and might not be far away from truth if the fiction was reality.

So before I got this book I was pretty excited and had my hopes high in the air.

But with Private India somehow I think that 'Indianess' is missing. So when you take that uniqueness away, I think it just becomes just-another-thriller on the shelf.

I haven't read the other 'Private' series of James Patterson to judge this, may be Mr. Sanghi kept up with Mr. Patterson's style of evolving the characters. I felt like I am just watching yet-another thriller serial. All the characters were identical to characters you see in a thriller series in 'Star World' channel.

Yes the story had its pace and it didn't lose its sight or narration speed, but I was disappointed since it didn't meet up to the standard that Mr Sanghi has already set for himself. I sincerely hope that Mr. Sanghi venture to write more sole works which will continue to 'wow' readers like me.

The main character of the story Sanjay is a typical off the shelf hero. He has a tragic past which make him an alcoholic. But you can see his geniusness shining at the right moment. My previous thriller novel was 'City of Bones' by and somehow Private India and City of Bones seems to have a lot of similarities. For that matter I seemed to draw lot of parallel between Private India and CSI series stories.
Maybe as a author you always will be influenced by what you read & this author has read them or clearly my chioce of order of genre of the books where wrong. May be as a rule going forward I should not read two books of the same genre back to back. All the story characters seems to muddle up. The other character you see is the Alex, who I assume is the main character in all the 'Private' series books. Just because its a series, the author had failed to give a detailed description. For a reader, who is following the series, this would be fine as they would be aware of the character, but for someone like me who is starting afresh, I was left hanging half baked.

Though mine would seem like a negative feedback, would I pick another of Ashwin's books, sure I would, now that I am even more eager to see his other book which I have missed to read so far. But for this book 'Private India' I would say may be Ashwin got rushed with the deadline so was not able to do his full 100% efforts!

So the verdict is pick this book only if you are a real Big fan of thrillers and is a non star world watcher!

Book Details:


Title: Private India
Author: Ashwin Sanghi & James Patterson
Publisher: Arrow Books
# of Pages: 470

My rating: 2/5

Note: This is part of Review program from Blogadda 

No comments: